Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Bee or Biden?

Flawless
Today we got you thinking about Pop Art by testing your knowledge of commercial logos, famous celebrities, and a few local and global leaders. Some of my students seemed disappointed in their inability to identify some of the popular images, wondering if these are actually important things to recognize in 21st century America.  Which got me thinking - shouldn't we know who Beyonce is just as much as our Vice President, Joe Biden? What does it say about us if we can only identify one or the other...or neither?

Speaking of Beyonce, I think we need to dedicate some time to her, since I'm still riding high off of the release of her single, Formation in February. If you're wondering why your old-esque Humanities teacher is listening to the same music as you, just remember she was mine before she was yours - I've been a Beyonce fan since Destiny's Child dropped their first album in 1998.

Some of the best Queen Bee lyrics:

  • I can see your halo, you know you're my saving grace (Halo, 2008)
  • Been the number one diva in this game for a minute (Diva, 2008)
  • Who run the world? Girls! (Run the World, 2011)
  • When I leave this world, I'll leave no regrets (I Was Here, 2008)
  • I woke up like this. We flawless. (Flawless, 2013)
  • I took a vow that from now on I'm gonna be my own best friend (Me, Myself, and I 2015)
  • I got hot sauce in my bag, swag (Formation, 2016)

Bow down to the Queen...an icon and a voice for female empowerment.  Speaking of which, our CE tomorrow is about Harriet Tubman making the $20. Ladies, stand up! 

Sophomores, don't forget to sign up for the practice exam by tomorrow! This is a valuable and free experience for you! Don't we all love free things? And if we didn't think it was worth your time, your teachers wouldn't be sacrificing sleeping in on a Saturday to hang out with you instead. 

Squad goals...why do I hear snapping?  




We're halfway through the week, friends!

- Warrior Princess Siddiqui

No comments:

Post a Comment