Wednesday, November 18, 2015

"Yard with Lunatics" sometimes also describes teaching

Humanitarians,

Isn't Goya the best, I mean like the best. If I was ranking my favorite artists (which I do often and would encourage you to do as well) Goya would be top 5 for sure. Just so perfectly dark.


Today we talked about Romanticism as it relates to painting. Just as you saw in the poetry we read yesterday, you should be able to indentify some of the following characteristics in Romantic painting:
  • Expression of Personal Feeling
  • Love of the fantastical/exotic
  • Interest in Nature
  • Nationalism (dang, there it is AGAIN!)
  • Erotic love
Not every painting will have all these things, but definitely some of them. Romanticism is super self-reflective, both self as yourself, but also self as in the national self. The best. For realz, the next artistic movement, Realism is not nearly as awesome, so soak in the greatness of Romanticism while you can. Maybe IN nature! (Have you been in nature lately? Maybe try doing some of your reading out in it, just bundle up first, it's getting chill-ay.) 


Tomorrow, we have another 2 question current event! Then we will continue feeling romantic with some sick beats, I mean Romantic music. ALL THE FEELZ. Here is a little preview of what's to come...

Oh that Hector Berlioz, such a Romantic
What about this day in history!?
1820: Captain Nathaniel Palmer discovered Anartica. I mean, I feel like the penguins already living there would have concern with the word "discovered," but....


  • 1828: Mickey Mouse made his debut in Steamboat Willie.

  • 1978: Jim Jones, a US cult leader, led 914 of his followers to their death at Jonestown, Guyana by drinking a cyanide-laced fruit drink. This is where the phrase "drink/drank the kool-aide" came from, so maybe be a little discerning when you say it!
Finally, in social media accounts you should follow, I bring you...

Norm Kelly, City of Toronto Councillor and funniest Canadian I know. His Twitter handle is @norm and I very much recommend him as funniest politician. Enjoy his tweeting!


Have a wonderful Wednesday! See you in the AM!!

- cbg

T-minus 8 days til turkey!

2 comments:

  1. what about the best romantic poem from the activity we did today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Friedrich meme...bahaha. I feel like that meme is every guy in a band that I know.

    ReplyDelete