Tuesday, November 3, 2015

She blinded me with science!

We didn't choose the thug life... the thug life chose us. 
I am positively giddy right now. I loves loves loves me some Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment. So much thinking and stuff!
It is my sincerest hope that you are starting to see our modern world come in to view. I know that many of these discoveries and theories that we're discussing in class don't see like a big deal, but that's because we live in their shadow. The world that these thinkers are discovering and inventing is our world! I love to think about how miraculous these revelations must have felt. And, what will be the next paradigm shifts that change our view of ourselves and our relationship to the universe?

As much as we accept these thinkers as "correct", keep in mind how jarring and frightening these new ideas must have been to people of the time. People don't like change. We freak out when our phone operating system updates and changes the font of our text. Can you imagine how it feels to have your entire view of the cosmos altered? Or, having your understanding of human life questioned? That'd freak me out just a wee bit. You can also understand why people like Galileo ran into such trouble...


Tomorrow you need to have read from a couple of my favorite homies, Thomas Hobbes and John Locke. As you read, think about the relationship between the governing and the governed. This is important stuff. Also, you've got some brief reading from your WHAP book due Thursday.

For today's throwback soundtrack, I think we'll go with something topical.
One of the greatest rock songs of all time + one of the greatest openings to a movie ever + a reference to Galileo = PURE AWESOME!

1 comment: